Make your own free website on


 My ties to Oceana County start in 1851, 15 years before the Township of Grant was organized. This was when my Great Great Grand Parents, Fernando and Frederike Seaver, settled in what is now Southern Oceana County. They settled on a 40 acre tract of land, taken on a Federal Land Grant, in what was then know as the Claybanks Territory. It wasn’t until 1855 that the County of Oceana was established, by the State of Michigan Legislature, and another 11 years in 1866 before the Township of Grant was organized.
 The Seaver Farm was cut out of the wilderness and had been in the Seaver name for over 125 years. The Seaver farm was granted Centennial Farm Status in 19__ by the State of Michigan. The old Seaver farm was sold in 19__ and is now owned and operated by the Dave Woller Family. Many of the Seaver descendants of Fernando and Frederike Seaver still live in Oceana and Northern Muskegon County.

Fernando & Frederike Seaver

The Seaver’s First Home in Grant
Township, Oceana County, Mi.

Two children were born to Fernando and Frederike Seaver on this Grant Township Farm, James Madison Seaver (my Great Grand father) and August Seaver who was killed in a hunting accident in 1881. Fernando & Frederike Seaver also raised a young boy name Antone, a six year old boy that a wandering band of Indians gave them. The Seavers gave him their name and raised him as there own and when he was old enough and he married a local girl and moved to New Mexico.

 James Madison Seaver married Mamie Ann Krupp and to this union 4 children were born and all were born on this same Grant Township Farm. August Montague Seaver, James Leslie Seaver, Everett Fernando Seaver and Hattie Frederike Seaver.

The Seaver Family Approx. 1900
Everett, James, August, Leslie, Hattie & Mamie

The Seaver Farm House in Grant Township

 Hattie Frederike Seaver my grandmother, was born and raised in Oceana County and she attended and graduated in 1911 from the Green School in Claybanks Township.  Hattie’s parents then moved to Whitehall where she attended and graduated from the Whitehall High school in 1916. Hattie then went to the Taylor University in Marion, Indiana which she also graduated from. After college Hattie set out with a friend to see the United States and in a little town name Mohler in Lincoln County in the State of Washington she met a cowboy named, Frederick Wilbur Yarwood, and this cowboy became my Grandfather. To this Union three children were born Joanne Mamie Yarwood, James Burnett Yarwood, and Joseph Allen Yarwood.

The Fred & Hattie Yarwood Family
(My Mom Joanne, on far Right)

Roger & Joanne (Yarwood) Schultz Family
Roger, Joanne, Cheri, Roger Jr. (me), David & John

 Joanne Yarwood my mother was born in Mohler, Lincoln County, Washington and grew up between Washington and the Whitelake area, graduating form the Whitehall High school in 1947. Joanne after high school in 1950 married Roger Schultz. Joanne after raising 4 monsters went back to college in 1966, and earned her BS degree. In 1970 Joanne started teaching in the Montague Public Schools & has taught the 4th, 5th & 7th grades within the school. She retired in 1995 after teaching 25 years. Joanne is also a member of the Women's auxiliary at the Montague VFW & was the auxiliary’s president for 1 term. Four children were born to Joanne & Roger Schultz, Cheryl Ann Schultz, Roger Charles Schultz Jr. (me), David Lee Schultz and John Leslie Schultz

My Father Roger Schultz was born in Montague Township, Muskegon County, Michigan to William & Tina (Graf) Schultz & shortly after the family moved into Montague. Roger attended the Montague Schools & graduated in 1946. Roger enlisted in the US Navy after graduation & served from 1946-1950. Roger worked at the Whitelake Leather Company & then the Hooker Chemical Company plant in Montague. Roger Schultz was a little League manager for 31 years & was honored by the city of Montague on Aug 20, 1976 when they signed a resolution proclaiming it as Roger Schultz Appreciation Day for the years he put into working with the young kids of the community. Roger was a member of the VFW Post #3256 until his death in 1987. He served as commander twice, was All State Post Commander twice, District 12 Commander, named All American Commander.

This is part of many articles written by the Seaver families that were printed in the Local Montague, Whitehall and Muskegon papers.

Hattie (Seaver) Yarwood, my Grandmother, is surprised when people complain about today’s trying times. She still remembers tales told by her grandparents about their trials and tribulations which make ours modern life seem pretty tame.

Her Grandparents Fernando & Frederike Seaver, immigrated from Germany in the 1840’s, finding employment at a lumbermills on Brown’s Pond, in Fruitvale – he as a mill hand and she as the camp cook.

After working hard, and with the little money they had managed to save, they tried homesteading in Grant Township, Oceana County, where they first built a log cabin and then a frame house, one of the first in the area.

After receiving a Federal Land Grant they had to clear the land. The unbroken forests were still waving in their splendor and were the haunts of many animals such as wild cats, bear, deer, and, in the still of the night, the echo of the howling wolves broke the calmness with their weird shrieks. Once the land was cleared, loneliness became almost a constant companion. For months the only visitors the Seavers had were Indians. The Hunting braves would stop for a lunch or to do some trading. After a couple of years another German family moved near them and they had someone besides themselfs to communicate with, and this family became very good friends of the Seavers.

Farming wasn’t too profitable in those days, Mrs. Yarwood explains, The deer and other wild animals often ate the garden crops before they could be harvested. Hard work and long hours were taken as a matter of course in those days. The Seavers raised most of what they ate and traded butter and eggs for whatever else they needed. In the summer time they often walked to town at daybreak, when it was cool, so that their butter wouldn’t be melted by the time they got to the stores.


Home  Page